Thanks to a youtube post, I have further secured my love of Bobbie Gentry. Her video below for Niki Hoeky, is a rendition of the song performed on the Smothers Brothers show in the sixties. Not only are the dance moves great and remind me a little of Ann Margaret style moves (I have committed myself to learning them for future parties) but she makes the song so catchy (the beginning is somewhat reminiscent of her Ode to Billie Joe)! Niki Hoeky was written in 1967 by Pat and Lolly Vegas of the band Redbone. As two brothers from California with indigenous background, they played up their "Indian-ness" as a selling point (ie. Redbone meaning half bred, their first album entitled Potlach). The song was noted as a "cajun swamp rock hit" and for its use of New Orleans vernacular of the time. P.J. Proby, the first person to perform the song was a boisterous bad boy, you can read about him here be sure to read about how Niki Hoeky got him kicked off the Dick Clark Showcase Tour. The song was made famous by Aretha Franklin as a soul hit, and her version is, of course, great, but I have to say that I think I prefer Bobbie Gentry's version. Enjoy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment